Saturday, August 26, 2023

RAPID - Blackstar Oppression Regime review


 

RAPID - Blackstar Oppression Regime 

Dying Victims Productions


Well ya gotta love a band who's drummer goes the name The Goon. OK I do but then again what more do you expect from me. So here we have the newest blackened speed metal sensation from Finland. Yes I'm being a wise ass with that last statement since blackened speed metal bands are a dime a dozen these days. But I'm still drawn to these types of bands as long as they're not too modern day generic sounding. 


RAPID are not generic at all on this their full length debut. Actually this originally came out last year as a four song EP. So the good people at Dying Victims Productions (actually they're evil motherfuckers if you look at their catalog of releases) decided to put it out and place the band's four song Deadly Torment demo from 2016 as bonus tracks on the CD version. The vinyl is a four song EP. So get em both and here's why.


Musically RAPID sound like speed metal punk freaks from the old school days. There is nothing new sounding to this trio from Helsinki. And so far as being Finnish they're all about the filth and the fury. Seriously this comes across as something which could've came out in 1985. The newer songs, the first four, come across as NWOBHM on 45 speed. The vocals are a mix of snarling punk to wannabe true metal howls, screams and insanity. I kinda love it.


Now the four Deadly Torment demo cuts are far more into old school insanity. These are like VENOM taking a few pick me up pills from Lemmy. If you know what I mean and I bet you do. In the end hell yeah I love this stuff. I mean if you're an older fuck like me you hear this and are going holy fuck I wanna be in a slam pit to this band's performance. RAPID continue a legacy of crazed out speed metal acts that we sure as hell need today.


https://dying-victims.de/

LISTEN HERE:

https://dyingvictimsproductions.bandcamp.com/album/blackstar-oppression-regime



No comments: