Friday, August 18, 2023

TERRA BUILDER - Solar Temple review


 

TERRA BUILDER - Solar Temple

Transcending Obscurity Records


When it comes to extreme metal I've always said that grind is number three behind black metal and death metal as far as genres go. I've been a fan of grind ever since it crawled out from the hardcore punk scene back in the late 80's. Over the decades I've listened to every type of grind style. So what we have here is a new German band performing death grind. 


Solar Temple is the debut full length by this five piece act. It took me more than a few listens to get into this release. First off when it comes to death grind I have some all time favorites. So I had to make sure that my bias wouldn't go against these guys. Thankfully TERRA BUILDER do not sound like my favorites. But there sound is not too far off from some grindcore that emanates from a neighboring nation. No name dropping will be done on my part there. 


Be that is may TERRA BUILDER do have an interesting death grind sound which is more on the dark side as opposed to violent brutality. Sure they've got some heavy handed riffs which kinda fall in with sludgey doom mixed with some modern death metal. Two standouts which define this band, aside from the foreboding atmosphere of the song structures, are the vocals and guitar soloing. 


This band's vocalist has that classic roar of a beast singing style. Plus he mixes in some deep bestial growls that just come across as horrific. As far as the guitar soloing, what there is of it, you've got these clean sharp surgical strikes. It's totally eerie sounding to the point where it gives ya a chill. Oddly enough in the week I was checking this album out I was also watching real life account horrors in the woods videos. Irony?


Either way I like how TERRA BUILDER (aptly named by the way) have a sound that's more about horror than gore or manacle, fantasy surgical experimentation. Trust me, when you listen to the whole nine cuts on here you just might go check to see if all of your doors and windows are locked. But then when it comes to cosmic terror, there's no place to hide. 


Years ago I heard what was called blackened grind and was not really impressed. On the other hand TERRA BUILDER really gives me the creeps. And that's something you don't expect from death grind. I mean what can this band do next to really freak the fuck out of ya? So when I say this album creeps up on ya. Ah yeah and in a sinister way. If a band's music can bring about emotions even if you don't care for those feelings then they're doing a great job.   


https://tometal.com/

LISTEN HERE:

https://terrabuilderband.bandcamp.com/album/solar-temple


No comments: