EXUMER - Death Mask Messiah
Metal Blade Records
There's a bunch of stuff to unload here. First off I'm an EXUMER fan. I think their first two albums from the late 80's are classic. With that said EXUMER came out with their fifth album, Hostile Defiance, in 2019 and it was damm good. Add to that they were always considered fifth tier as far as German Thrash goes.
Now in my not so humble opinion in 2019 EXUMER were better than their contemporaries. I mean KREATOR blew. I don't remember TANKARD doing anything cool. And SODOM and DESTRUCTION were just repeating generic albums. So yeah EXUMER were cool as fuck and leading the charge of German Thrash.
But then that was it for a while as in seven years later with this latest release. On this one old blood meets new blood to keep the influences on your sleeves act alive and kicking ass. Of course there's Mem von Stein on vocals with Ray Mensh on guitar keeping the early original line-up and sound alive. Guitarist Marc Brautigam, who joined in 2013, completes the older line-up.
On board now is a radical rhythm section consisting of bassist Alex Voss, who joined in 2024 and new drummer Jerome Reil who joined in 2025. Basically they're the new blood keeping things exciting. Which means overall I don't care about influences worn on sleeves especially in 2026.
We're talking about Thrash here in an era where sounding like something that doesn't exist anymore is cool in my book. Let the naysayers, who weren't even around back in the day, cry and criticize. For me I hope EXUMER doesn't take a half of a decade to put out their next album.
https://www.metalblade.com/us/
LISTEN HERE:
https://exumerofficial.bandcamp.com/album/death-mask-messiah


No comments:
Post a Comment