Wednesday, September 30, 2026

HECATE ENTHRONED - The Corpse of a Titan, a Lament Long Buried review


 

HECATE ENTHRONED - The Corpse of a Titan, a Lament Long Buried

M-Theory Audio


Here we have the seventh full length by this English Symphonic Black Metal act. I don't want to get too bogged down in this band's history. I'll just say that bassist Dylan Hughes and guitarist Nigel Dennan have kept this band going since 1995. I also give credit to guitarist Andy Milnes who joined in 1997. Other than those three this act has gone through plenty of members especially when it comes to vocalists. 


The skinny on HECATE ENTHRONED has always been that they are CRADLE OF FILTH's better or worse twin. Since I only owned two full lengths by em my opinion on that point doesn't matter. I have the band's 1997 debut, The Slaughter of Innocence, a Requiem for the Mighty, because you have to. It's part of black Metal history so you have to own the originals. The other HECATE ENTHRONED full length I have is 2019's Embrace of the Godless Aeon. 


Present vocalist Joe Stamps (who joined the band in 2015) debuted on Embrace of the Godless Aeon. I really like this guy's vocals as far as Symphonic Black Metal goes. He's got the harsh screams down as well as the baritone vocals and that whispering thing really nails it. I think he's more influenced by Ihsahn as opposed to Dani Filth. In the end he does this band well.


Something else I like about this album is that the compositions are pretty cool. I mean if you go back twenty years ago Symphonic Black Metal was kind of a joke. I'm not pointing fingers but when DIMMU BORGIR got big you had plenty of copycats following their lead. Thankfully this album is not like that. 


I liked 2019's Embrace of the Godless Aeon but it needed to be better. Half a decade later we have that type of release which is harsh as fuck but also melodic as well as majestic for a cool late night blast. HECATE ENTHRONED just put out a decent album which Black Metal fans should like. Hey HECATE ENTHRONED don't wait half a decade or change your line-up before you release your next album. 


https://www.m-theoryaudio.com/

LISTEN HERE:

https://hecateenthroned.bandcamp.com/album/the-corpse-of-a-titan-a-lament-long-buried


No comments: