Monday, December 19, 2016

CTULU - Self Titled review




CTULU - Self Titled

Label: MDD Records

Released: 2016

Blackened, Lovecraftian something or other from these Germans at least that's what I get out of listening to the new one by CTULU. Yeah I know this band from years ago at a time when I was getting a lot of extreme and obscure stuff in for review from Europe. I actually got a CD of their's packed away in one of my containers in the storage bin. The moving in to my new place process is slow. Be that as it may it's been 3 years since CTULU has released anything other than having their previously sold out 2011 CD, Sarkomand, reissued this year. According to the band they've been "collecting pathetic disappointments for three years now and transformed them into hate."

  
On this new one CTULU have moved more towards the blackened death vein although they still throw hints of post 1994 era MAYHEM, especially on cuts like "Totenhauswinde" and "Dämmerung". There's that similarity within the pummeling riffs and frantically paced blast-beats. The rest of this is standard blackened death with simple chugging riffs, hoarse vocals (what happened to rasps and chanting from the early days?) mid tempo breaks to dampen the intensity. Sorry guys but I just don't feel the call.

Rating: 2/5 


 https://www.facebook.com/ctulumetal

 www.ctulu.de


No comments: