Wednesday, December 21, 2016

ROOT - Hell Symphony (25 Year Anniversary Reissue) review



ROOT - Hell Symphony (25 Year Anniversary Reissue)

Eternal Death Records

Released: 2016

Years ago, going on 10 to be exact, soon after I started SFM666 I hooked up with some PR guys from Eastern Europe. They were the ones who sent me all of that obscure European black,death and folk metal in for review. After a while one of them started asking me how much I knew of the Eastern European metal scene and the various bands. I told him not as much as I wished. Next thing he was sending me all of these older obscure releases, mostly black metal in the vein of NSBM. Another time he asked me about ROOT. I told him yeah they were good but I only had one release by them. Soon after he sent me the complete disography of ROOT. Well it wasn't that complete but it was five full lengths, one of which was Hell Symphony. 

These days almost everyone into black metal knows about ROOT but for the few who don't I'll give ya the skinny. ROOT started out in   Czechoslovakia back in the late 80s when it was still a communist country. Back then while bands like BATHORY and VENOM were metal household names, the term black metal had not made it's way into are lexicon. Over their long career they've amassed a huge discography. Leader and vocalist, Big Boss, is the sole remaining original band member. ROOT is his vehicle, his life. 

Hell Symphony is the ROOT's second full length and arguably their best or at least a cult favorite amongst fans. I think it's a fuckin classic. Musically it stands more in the vein of thrash, death and traditional metal. People schooled in the second or third wave traditions of black metal might not get the whole concept and cult status of ROOT. Be that as it may here's another reissue of Hell Symphony for your vinyl collection, which you never play anyway. 

Rating: 5/5




No comments: