Wednesday, September 20, 2017

DREAMING DEAD – Funeral Twilight review



DREAMING DEAD – Funeral Twilight 

Hammerheart Records




I was a fan of DREAMING DEAD early on in their career. I picked up their debut, Within One, back in 2009. Unfortunately for them they were tagged as a female fronted melodic death metal band. The female in question is guitarist/vocalist Elizabeth Schall and lumping them into the melo-deth camp was wrong. One listen to Within One will have you believing this band can play multiple metal genres but if I were to slam in a peg I'd say death thrash would be more to the point. A year later I got to see them play locally on a four band bill. They were great and that was the last I heard of em up until now. The band did put out a full length in 2012 but that was a self released dink.

So now here we finally have something new from them. First off this is on Hammerheart Records, a quality label by far. Next up Funeral Twilight does continue on where the band left off years ago with their debut. Once again the guitar work is subtle on the riff explosions but solo wise Schall just slices and dices. Her playing style seems to be more based in blues rock and jazz fusion then metal. That makes the songs all the more exciting. Also her witch sounding vocals were always a huge selling point for me. While songs like “Your Grave”, "Widowed" and “Buried” are full on ragers you've also got some progressive nods with "No Masters, No Slaves", "Beyond the Black Moon" as well as the title cut. 


It's been five years since DREAMING DEAD's last release (2012's self released Midnightmares) and I know that in those years Schall has also been playing CRETIN as well as Dia de los Muertos (aka: Day of the Dead). So I believe I can get away with saying that Funeral Twilight is a comeback release or at least a return to form. It's a release with enough variety to make anyone who appreciates metal into a fan. Hopefully I'll get to see the band on tour this year.


http://www.hammerheart.com/

https://dreamingdeadmusic.bandcamp.com/

https://www.facebook.com/dreamingdeadBAND/

No comments: