Friday, September 8, 2017

EORONT - Another Realm review



EORONT - Another Realm

Code666 Records




Hey I love my atmospheric black metal just as much as any other self righteous, over-bearing elitist but I do draw the line at overly long intros to releases. The opening song on here, "The Rain" takes three and half minutes of ambient keyboards to the hilt before the first crash of a cymbal or a guitar string strummed. So if that's the only thing I can say bad about this release then hey that's just a peeve.


Another Realm is the second full length by this Russian band. From what I gather EORONT use to be a solo project by multi-instrumentalist Foltath Eternum. Then in 2014 he added permanent band mates on bass, drums and keyboards while he concentrated on guitar, vocals and writing sinister sounding black metal which is cool as all hell late at night. I tried to listen to this early in the day at first and it just didn't click. EORONT first started out in 2012 and like I mentioned earlier as a solo project by Foltath Eternum. I never heard the debut release or the EP, both from 2013. But I will say this is good.


EORONT, like so many other cool bands of the blackened Eastern Europe to Russia acts, toss in so much non trendy non black metal influences in that you wouldn't know it anymore because it sounds so fluid and natural. The use of keyboards on here sounds just as important as the tremolo picked riffs and bass that you can actually hear and acknowledge as important. The first two cuts were not that impressive but when "Genesis" hit then the whole pattern of listening changed. Now this is prog injected into black metal that actually sounds right. 


Another Realm is seven cuts all together and all long but hey it's atmospheric black metal. I'll say half the time it's exciting as if I've just snorted my coffee grinds and I do like Folgers Morning Brew. Other times I wished I had a cigarette lit (Please Note I don't smoke in my new place) so I could burn myself when the progressive passages take me on a dream state. Be that as it may I will say that EORONT have introduced a better job at inducing prog (keyboards and song structure as major players) into the black metal cannon than any other band before. So many times it's been used as a prop but not on here. I mean on the closer "The Order of Light" there's a hint of over indulgence but that's what it's all about. I just want to listen to this every other night because I grew up in the 70s and I love black metal. Nuff Said.


http://www.code666.net/

https://eoront.bandcamp.com/album/another-realm

https://www.facebook.com/Eoront

No comments: