Saturday, September 8, 2018

HUSH - Untitled II review



HUSH - Untitled II

Sludgelord Records





So when I first saw this I was thinking hmmm HUSH, I wonder if they're gonna sound like DEEP PURPLE? Of course when I played it ah no it was not. Instead I was greeted by slow music with a guy screaming as if he was caught in a bear trap behind my house. Hey I don't like strangers walking in the woods behind my house. But anyway after one listen I decided another pot of coffee was in order.


HUSH is a five piece act outta Albany, New York. So while I'm listening to this I'm reminded of years ago when a lot of hardcore records were recorded at 45 rpm. But normally if it was a LP you played it at 33 1/3 speed. So you hear it slow and once in a while you'd be partying and play it slow for your friends at the house just for the hell of it. Then some asshole would show up and be like "Dude I love the MELVINS, I mean Gluey Porch Treatments rules. Ah hey can I get a beer?"


HUSH is a band that I've seen many times over the decades albeit they had different names. In other words HUSH are slow as in dragging more ass than an alligator. The vocals are pain ridden, deep vocal cries from (choose one: a post apocalyptic nightmare, a hellish abyss of torture or my ex-wife's bedroom). Actually this is sludge from the early days which is cool and then the band hits up with a grandiose revival of explosiveness.


HUSH reminds me of a time in 1989. I was at a local club and there was this band from Boston playing this same slow brand of music. Now like I said it was 1989 and the term sludge metal wasn't coined to the whole public lexicon. So this band was playing slow and the crowd of punks in the pit didn't know what to do. At times it was like they were high on ludes trudging through mud.


This is HUSH's fourth release overall. They've put out two EPs and a full length prior to this one. Honestly anything that has a old school sound, is punishing in riffs and pounding bass plus pain ridden vocals is a winner in my book.


https://thesludgelord.bandcamp.com/album/untitled-ii

https://www.facebook.com/hushdoom




No comments: