Saturday, September 8, 2018

WITCHKISS - The Austere Curtains of Our Eyes review



WITCHKISS - The Austere Curtains of Our Eyes

Self Released




Here is something I'd expect Sludgelord Records to hit me up with. I mean this band, who are three piece act from Beacon, New York which is up state technically but not a long drive from New York City, are obscure yet carry some generic doom sounds of present day acts. Argonauta Records, a great label in their own right, released a single of a song on here as well.


WITCHKISS's brand of doom is a mix of controlled sonic power mixed with subtle engagement on a folk level. Their use of duel vocals (male & female) gives things a cool texture which easily draws you in on the quieter tunes as well as entry points to the heavy cuts. The band knows how to draw a fine line between the melodic and the pounding thud.


Now with that said I've heard this all before when indie rockers were going doom / sludge back in 2008/2009. It's non-offensive or extreme stuff. I'm surprised they're not opening for SLEEP at this year's Hipsterscotch in downtown Raleigh. Their drummer/female vocalist even pulls off some wispy Dorthia Cottrell (of WINDHAND) vocals. Toss in a lot of acoustic guitar which was also a staple of that last WINDHAND album.


For those of you in the new then you'll probably love this because you were listening to hip hop ten years ago and are in denile. As for me I liked the start off of the release. Then as it went on I found so much generic structures to the genre that I got bored. It's easy listening music, as in AM, to a lot of beardo losers, whose girlfriends have better taste in doom.  


https://witchkiss.bandcamp.com/album/the-austere-curtains-of-our-eyes

https://www.facebook.com/witchkissband/


No comments: