Sunday, June 27, 2021

FELLED - The Intimate Earth review


 

FELLED - The Intimate Earth 

Transcending Obscurity Records


Here we have the debut album by this blackened folk metal act from Oregon. Now for a few years I've heard folk elements injected into black metal. It's nothing new to the scene. What FELLED, who are a four piece act, are doing is something completely different from what you might have heard in the past.  


Trust me when I see the term "Neo-folk", I walk away. Basically I know it's some hipster scribe bullshit. I'm going to see WARDRUNA later this year and if you called them Neo-Folk then Einar Selvik will come out and punch you in the face. So for facts sake FELLED are not hipster Neo-Folk. For starters they're from Oregon. Yeah I know we're trending on bad ice here. But you will be surprised. 


The basics for FELLED are a very cool sounding atmospheric black metal act which utilizes a violin player as a lead instrumentalist. She, Tiffany Holliday, is your lead guitarist and your rhythm maker plus she adds some vocals. So this is something I like, I like a lot. Two of the members of this band are also in the Doom metal act POET. So there's some melancholy influence there on this five song forty minute release.


In the end I keep going back to some melodies on here which make this one of those late night black metal classics. The bestial vocals, the guitar tremolo picked rhythms and the violin solos. Add to that the mixture of beauty and blackened intensity. Yeah I like it. I like it a lot. 


https://tometal.com/

LISTEN HERE:

https://felledblackmetal.bandcamp.com/album/the-intimate-earth-folk-black-metal


No comments: