Tuesday, June 22, 2021

PUNCTURE WOUND - Complete Carnage of Coagulating Cacophonous Corpses review


 

PUNCTURE WOUND - Complete Carnage of Coagulating Cacophonous Corpses

Corrupted Flesh Records


So what we have here is pretty cool at least in my not so humble opinion. This is the debut full length by Australia's PUNCTURE WOUND. They're a death metal act that started out a few years back. Prior to this one they just released an EP and a few singles. Yeah I'm sure those hits went to the Top of the Pops. 


But anyways the main reason I think they're cool is that their sound is not a copycat version of some of their country's contemporaries in the death metal genre. In other words they're not blackened, have cavernous vocals or production and there's no wall of suffocating noise. I'm not going to name drop but intelligent readers know where I'm going with that.


PUNCTURE WOUND are pure old school sounding death metal but the kicker here is they sound like they're USDM. In fact let's just name the elephant in the bloody corner. That would be Corpsegrinder era CANNIBAL CORPSE but I'll say they add a touch of Sweden's GRAVE as well.


Now for you jaded fuckers here's an analogy for ya. My favorite kind of bread is Rosemary baked bread. Sure the fuckers who make it nowadays call it "artisan" in order to charge more for it. But basically it's just herb encrusted bread. Now the recipe is probably a hundred years old but I get it every once in a while baked fresh and it's great. 


It's the same way with a new band who takes an old recipe and runs with it. If I was so lucky to see this band play the states I'd be the old guy in the crowd in fuckin awe. And if some loser behind me said "They sound like so n so". I'd turn around and say "well they're not playing tonight so enjoy this or leave, loser." 


PUNCTURE WOUND pretty much check all the boxes as far as great death metal goes. Also it helps to write about em after work at midnight while having a beer. But anyways trudging riffs, YES. Mean guy throaty vocals, yeah check that one. A quality rhythm section that accompanies the riff package, YEP. Amazing solo work in the breaks, ah not as much as I would like but what they do is decent. 


In the end I got to say by the third listen this band won me over. It's old school but it just sounds fresh, exciting and of course diabolical. Meet the new kings of Australian Death Metal.


https://www.corrupted-flesh.com/

LISTEN HERE:

https://corruptedfleshrecords.bandcamp.com/album/puncture-wound-complete-carnage-of-coagulating-cacophonous-corpses


No comments: