Sunday, July 4, 2021

HIGH N' HEAVY - V review


 

HIGH N' HEAVY - V

Electric Valley Records


I've said it before but it bares repeating. The lame-stream mainstream can pile you in polished turds which they call great releases. And then have the audacity to question your attitude for not liking em. But me doing this little o'l blog has discovered some killer fuckin music over the years by unknown bands on small yet cool and dedicated to their craft type of labels.


Case in point, here we have the four piece act HIGH N' HEAVY from New Bedford, Massachusetts. Now for any of you would be musicians out there let me say this. If anyone ever tells ya that "smoking pot and listening to that Ozzy guy will get you nowhere". You tell em that's bullshit. This band here has five fuckin albums. I'm sure their whole career has been based on 70's SABBATH and copious bong hits.


But anyways this is the fifth full length album by these SAB-4 loving mass-holes. Unfortunately this is my first time hearing em But I gotta say I love every second of it. Aside from the obvious stoner rock homage in the groove parts. You've got some actual original sections whether it's a speedy fuckin rocker like "Death in the Unknown" or the breaks from the formula as on "Gather Flame".


Of course for me what is really cool about this band, and nothing against the other three guys, is the vocals. Kris Fortin's singing style is best described as caustic bluesy. He puts in the emotion when needed that accents the riffs excellently. And speaking of which the guitar work and rhythm section here are flawless in their delivery. They know their heavy and their singer delivers the highs.


Let me honest with ya. I'd say over the past five or so years I've been bored with stoner rock. Then again who hasn't? There's so much repetitive copycat bullshit out there. On an average year doing this blog I'll hear twenty to twenty-five releases from bands in this sub genre. And in recent years I've only considered maybe one or two to be actually good. This album here is a good one. It's one of the best you'll hear in 2021.


https://www.electricvalleyrecords.com/

LISTEN HERE:

https://highnheavy.bandcamp.com/album/v






No comments: