Sunday, July 4, 2021

SOLARIUM -Ruled By The Cruel review


 

SOLANUM -Ruled By The Cruel

Horror Pain Gore Death Productions


Listening to this reminds me of a time in the late 80's/early 90's. I'd be at a band's practice space which was at one of those rental storage units. Not only was I there to check out the band for my zine. But I was old enough to buy beer for the people there as well as having money to buy beer. Fun times and usually someone in the band called that practice space home. 


So yeah SOLANUM are that inbetween of hardcore and thrash as far as their sound goes. And pardon me but it all sounds like it was recorded in a practice space in 1989-1992. Now that's not a knock against em. For me it's a personal preference to hear a band who's playing a style of music from the past to actually sound as if it was recorded back in the day. 


SOLANUM hail from Winnipeg, Manitoba which of late seems like an cool area in Canada that has some very extreme music emanating out of. So yeah I'd kill a moose to see this band live. Just for the record I spent two years in Alaska so don't give me shit about that moose comment. But anyways musically there's a lot of cool things going on here. 


First off I love the maniacal hardcore drum work. Their singer, who sports a Mohawk like I did a long time ago, has that caustic vocal style which is reminiscent of some past greats. The guitars are perfect on the riffs. But the leads which dive in every once in a while give it that "whoa" factor. Like I said earlier, it's the production. Sure this sounds like something out of the long ago past. But not as a copycat act or a homage. This sounds like an unearthed gem that no one knew about before. and now you know.


https://www.horrorpaingoredeath.com/

LISTEN HERE:

https://hpgd.bandcamp.com/album/ruled-by-the-cruel


No comments: