Thursday, November 4, 2021

SEXMAG - Sex Metal EP review


 

SEXMAG - Sex Metal EP

Dying Victims Productions


There are those times when I ask myself, normally whenever I'm listening to some crazy band's release, WHY? I mean seriously why do I write about what is essentially underground music when I could easily be a scribe repeating bullshit for mainstream pop music. I mean sure I'm not some college radio loser who figures writing PR for labels will get them into the big leagues aka: yellow journalism for a free weekly.


Why? Because I'm essentially a sick fuck who feels a kinship, to a point, with the musicians who create this music. Case in point, if you saw that a band named SEXMAG was playing at a local venue and you had a choice to see them or say METALLICA at a huge arena who would you go see?


So let me tell ya about SEXMAG, there's your answer. This four piece act hail from Poland and are a sleazy sounding thrash act that have more of a punk/hardcore edge than you would guess. Like many other releases from this label the sound on here is raw to the point of demo quality. That's not a rub because this label puts out non-bullshit releases. You will not get Andy Sneap over-produced schlock or  Joel Grind generic stuff.


SEXMAG are definitely in the depths of low-fi which is cool especially if you're old like me and remember bands who just didn't give a fuck about production standards or label / genre adherence. Just play what you want and let the losers walk away while the rest of us start a pit and slam into each other. 


The songs are sung in Polish. The vocals are a mix of caustic screams and guttural vocals. The guitar lines are actually exciting and almost have a surf music quality to em in the rhythm riff department. The soloing falls into that insane dive bomb versus face ripping mode. And of course the rhythm section, especially the drumming, pulls off the insane job of making it all come together well.


https://www.dying-victims.de/

LISTEN HERE:

https://dyingvictimsproductions.bandcamp.com/album/sexmag-sex-metal


No comments: