Sunday, October 23, 2022

ACID WITCH – Rot Among Us review


 

ACID WITCH – Rot Among Us

Hells Headbangers Records


Well with Halloween 2022 a few weeks away it's a perfect time for ACID WITCH to release something new. Here's the shocker it's a full length, their fourth and it's been five years since their last one. Yeah for the past couple of years it's been EPs and comp releases. 


I'll admit that I liked this Detroit act's early stuff. You had sludgey stoner doom mixed with all the horror shtick. While they always utilized the synths in their songs to a horrific creepy accent. 2017's Evil Sound Screamers brought their use to the forefront. That was a decent album but I'll always reach for 2010's Stoned as my go to ACID WITCH album.


So with this new one I'm kinda disappointed. Sure the band is still in full on cheesy horror mode. But overall it's like they're more influenced by King Diamond then the SAB 4. There's some cool old style headbanging tracks like "The Sleeper" and “Devil’s Night Doom”. But there's more of a prog-like psych style on other cuts with the added demonic screech howled vocals. 


If I were on drugs then yeah I'd be freaking out. "5508 Martin St" which is supposed to be a Detroit folklore cut is not scary or rocking at all. The opener "Gather Each Witch" as well as the title cut had me bored. How do you open an album without some excitement? Of course the latter half of Rot Among Us is no prize either. Yeah like I said earlier this is a disappointment with repetitive riffs throughout. And I thought missing the NUNSLAUGHTER show the other night was a bummer. This made things worse.


https://shop-hellsheadbangers.com/

LISTEN HERE:

https://acid-witch-detroit.bandcamp.com/album/rot-among-us


No comments: