Thursday, January 18, 2024

IRON CURTAIN - Savage Dawn review


 

IRON CURTAIN -  Savage Dawn

Dying Victims Productions


When I woke up this morning it was 2024 but this Spanish band still believes it's somewhere around 1987 and hell yeah that's a good thing. To put it plainly IRON CURTAIN are defenders of the 80's metal faith. And in a world where people try to destroy or at least alter the past, we need bands like this. 


No, IRON CURTAIN are not another "wannabe 80's" revival band. Actually they've been around since 2007, probably when you were still in your Dad's balls. Since that time they've showed an affinity towards the era of 80's metal which was NWOBHM, Speed Metal and Thrash. 


So with all of that said here we have the band's fifth full length. Now of course they have a song on here titled "Thy Wolf" which I could say is great and good fuckin night. But hey there's a lot of great songs on here that capture not only an era but a feeling. I mean I'm 60 and after hearing this I'm not gonna pull out an old EXCITER or RAVEN album and blast it for nostalgia. Personally I'd rather blast this. 


Savage Dawn is a ten song album but it's actually eight songs with an intro and outro. Of those eight proper songs they're all pretty damm good. Personally I like the speed metal MOTORHEAD vibes of "Jericho Trumpet (Stuka)" as well as "Rattlesnake". Add to that the NWOBHM bleeding of openers "Devil's Eyes" followed up by the amazing "Gypsy Rocker". And of course a latter favorite "Evil Is Everywhere" which would be considered a deep track. 


I've said it before but it bares repeating. I don't really care about "anticipated" releases by classic metal acts from the past. Why should I when I can hear shredding guitar lines, heavy opening bass lines and pure as fuck rocking cuts by modern day bands like IRON CURTAIN. This is a great fuckin album.  


https://dying-victims.de/

LISTEN HERE:

https://ironcurtainattack.bandcamp.com/album/savage-dawn


1 comment:

IRON CURTAIN said...

HELL YEAH!!
Thanks for your words and the review!!
Heavy Metal without Anesthesia!
Aaaargh!