Monday, January 8, 2024

TOXIKULL - Under The Southern Light review


 

TOXIKULL - Under The Southern Light

Dying Victims Productions


While other metal media outlets are highly anticipating new albums by some metal gods of the 80's. This four piece act from Portugal are ready for you to remember the 1980's metal scene and sounds in their own way. TOXIKULL are a band who a few years back caught my attention with their second album, Cursed and Punished, from 2019. Back then they had one foot in the speed metal arena with the other in the whole 80's metal craze.


Fast forward to 2024 and TOXIKULL are kicking ass on this their third album. I mean the opening track on here, "Night Shadows", is a total ripper. And with Lex Thunder giving an amazing vocal performance with some killer riffs hell yeah this track rules. Just for the record Lex Thunder is one of the best metal vocalists in these modern times. The guy's got that mid to high range and screams like a banshee. 


Under The Southern Light is ten tracks worth of classic sounding 80's metal remembrance. One cut, "Ghost of a Dream" is an instrumental and the final cut, "Filhos do Metal", is a XEQUE-MATE cover. But everything inbetween fuckin rules! The title cut just screams 1984 and it's real metal, not that hair metal crap. I'm at a lack for who TOXIKULL remind me of from back then. Maybe no one directly but it could be a combination of influences that make this sound fresh.


If there's one thing that pisses me off with older metal fans, and I know plenty of em, is their lack of excepting or even trying to find stuff that's new. I remember the 80's full well and yeah there was some great music. But I didn't stop there instead I kept going in search of that type of stuff. Hell listen to "Knights of Leather" from this album and tell me why Grunge killed your scene again, loser. 


Yeah this third album by TOXIKULL fuckin rules. It's a modern throwback to a time I certainly loved. Musically it's more original than some older bands trying to keep going. 


https://dying-victims.de/

LISTEN HERE:

https://dyingvictimsproductions.bandcamp.com/album/under-the-southern-light


No comments: