Tuesday, August 18, 2026

RAW POWER - Live CBGB's NYC 1998 review


 

RAW POWER - Live CBGB's NYC 1998 

Time To Kill Records


Honestly I saw RAW POWER on this tour. They played the club I worked at here in North Carolina. It was a decent show but turnout could've been better. It was a 80's Hardcore band, and yeah legendary if you were into Hardcore, playing in the late 1990's. So it was tough to get kids who got into Hardcore in the 1990's to come out. Also those crusty political punks didn't wanna pay to see the show. They rather have bands play their "punk house" and get paid in Ramon noodles and Bean soup.


The band had a new album out at the time titled Reptile House. Personally I didn't think much of that album. As far as RAW POWER goes their debut LP Screams from the Gutter from 1984 is their best. Their second album, After Your Brain, from 1986 is good along with their Wop Hour EP also from 1986 which was the first release I owned by em. 


Now as far as this live album goes it is pretty much what I heard / saw when they played the club I worked at. The set list is a mix of their tunes off of Reptile House as well as old 80's cuts. The crowd sound seems the same as well. They probably had the old crowd in the back while the new metal-core baldies were up front doing the whole push and shove wanna-be slam pit. Sound-wise it's a decent enough recording.


https://timetokillrecords.com/en-us

LISTEN HERE:

https://rawpowercbgb.bandcamp.com/album/live-at-cbgb


No comments: