Tuesday, August 18, 2026

WATCHER - Mistress of Our Time review


 

WATCHER - Mistress of Our Time

Dying Victims Productions


A few years ago I was at a show wearing an IRON MAIDEN "Killers" shirt and this young person came up to me asking a question. He was, according to him, all into NWOBM stuff but wanted more. So I told him to check out the bands on the Dying Victims Productions label. Did he do it, I don't know? Then again ya don't see many people wearing a MAIDEN "Killers" shirt at local shows. A close friend of mine might wear his.


Anyways I guess it's obvious that this release here is NWOBHM influenced. This is the second full length by WATCHER who hail from Sweden. The band started out back in 2023. Actually it was a one man band featuring Viktor Gustafsson who sang and played everything. After a year he brought on guitarist Max Warnby and drummer Jakob Nilsson. After that bassist Oscar Nyberg joined and this year guitarist Timmy Lindgren has been added to complete the line-up.


Musically yeah it's MAIDEN-esque all the way. Personally I like the vocals by Viktor Gustafsson. He's a real guy vocalist who can hit a Heavy Metal scream once in a while. I like Max Warnby's lead guitar work on here. He's subtle in his leads which is cool. The rhythm section is strong in conveying solid song craft. 


In the end yeah this is a cool album with ten cuts all perfect. The promo info hints that this is classic Swedish Heavy Metal. Look I'm just an old Metal guy who owns two HEAVY LOAD CDs, yeah reissues, and maybe two other old Swedish Heavy Metal CDs, yeah reissues, and I don't care what a friend of mine says. EUROPE sucks! But WATCHER is great.    


https://dying-victims.de/

LISTEN HERE:

https://dyingvictimsproductions.bandcamp.com/album/mistress-of-our-time


No comments: