Thursday, December 7, 2017

GRAVESPAWN - Inexorable Grimness review



GRAVESPAWN - Inexorable Grimness 

Folkvangr Records



Whenever I see that a black metal band is from California I look around my desk for a straight razor blade. Seriously, black metal from California? Let me slit my wrists! Like we haven't laughed enough about that one. But hey this is another re-release by Folkvangr Records so given the label's track record for putting out good stuff I give em the benefit of the doubt.

The synth opening on "Old Dragon's Domain" had me thinking Hammer Horror opening trailer intro which in a way was a good sign. From that point onward this Los Angeles, California act shows that they're into the whole symphonic black metal theme. By their second cut, "Oath of the Annihilator", I was thinking Wrath of the Tyrant era EMPEROR. Hyperbole on my part, maybe a bit but the use of the synths, the cool rasp of the vocals and even the tremolo riffs are a reminder of Norway's black metal days of yore. 

This is just a five song EP put out by a band that actually started out as a solo project back in 2004 by multi-instrumentalist Seth Brooke. They're a three piece now, hmmmm? But anyways while any metal media mope might cry "copycat" I say nay since the whole symphonic black metal trend died out in 2009. Also that trend in BM was because of DIMMU BORGIR's popularity. GRAVESPAWN are striving for something more grim and harsh. I expect more greatness from them in the future.


https://folkvangrrecords.bandcamp.com/album/inexorable-grimness

https://www.facebook.com/GravespawnOfficial


No comments: