Friday, December 8, 2017

SPECTRAL VOICE - Eroded Corridors of Unbeing review



SPECTRAL VOICE - Eroded Corridors of Unbeing

Dark Descent Records



When I think of modern death doom I'm thinking in the extreme as in PORTAL, COFFINWORM and that Finnish act who's name escapes me at this time. Oh yeah HOODED MENACE. Yeah sure throw in INCANTATION but in this case they're not worthy. Denver's SPECTRAL VOICE bring forth a more esoteric idea to the genre. Sure they've got the death crawl which works well but they also have plenty of dissonance that drags the listener along on their five song debut full length.

First time I listened to this I was five sheets into the wind. A six pack of Death By Hops will do that to ya. So during my listening to the first cut, "Thresholds Beyond", I was thinking this Denver, Colorado act know PORTAL as well as dISEMBOWELMENT. A few days later and straight I still agreed on my drunken assessment but let my senses absorb the whole fuckin atmosphere of what SPECTRAL VOICE are pushing. 

Since this is their first full length and they didn't just pop out of nowhere it must be pushed that these guys evolved to the point where they are now. Lets make mention that they started out in 2012 and have five demos and two splits to their credit. So this death and doom hypnotic drug they have here is an extreme narcotic. You will drink in the patience as well as revel with the speed like riffage when they so chose to convey it. 

To me this is a great release since it takes a genre well worn out on typical terms and injects some more bleakness as well as eerie touches which it surely needed. It's new to these old ears and a welcome style which comes off like a death metal version of a soundtrack from a Gothic American International film from the late 60s. Vincent Price's ghost not included.

http://www.darkdescentrecords.com/

https://darkdescentrecords.bandcamp.com/album/eroded-corridors-of-unbeing

http://www.necroticdoom.com/

No comments: