Saturday, January 2, 2021

COFFINS - Defilements 2xCD Compilation review


 

COFFINS - Defilements  2xCD Compilation

Horror Pain Gore Death Productions


So can I just say this is going to be the best compilation of 2021? I mean instead of watching some depressing ball drop at midnight of December 31st, 2020. I was blasting this while taking sips of West Virginia moonshine that a friend gave me the other day for a Christmas present. Yeah I'm easy to buy gifts for. Strangely enough here I am listening to this latest COFFINS release. And yet I still haven't received my copy of the COFFINS/DEPRESSION Split CD which I was hoping would come before today. Oh well maybe next week / next year unless some prick stole it while it was sitting on the front porch.


But anyways here we have something that any COFFINS fan should go apeshit over. Personally I'm an average fan of this Japanese death doom act. I think a couple of their full lengths are cool as fuck. They've been around for over twenty years, with a few line-up changes, banging out their Japanese brand of guttural down-tuned death. But in all honesty they're more into short form releases. I have a few of those but there's just too many out there to keep up with. That's why Defilements is a must have if you're just into the music as opposed to having the product for collecting purposes. I'm one of those types too. I love compilations and reissues with extra tracks. 


So what you have here on Defilements is around two hours of COFFINS' death doom on two CDs. Basically it's all previously released EP material. Supposedly these EPs are all out of print. The first batch of songs are from the band's Craving To Eternal Slumber EP which originally came out on Hammerheart Records five, whoops I mean six years ago. I forgot it's 2021. I'll be screwing up dates a lot now. But what's cool on here for me is that there's a song called "Tyrant" which is also on a COFFINS/ILSA split 12"er I have which came out on Relapse Records in 2016. Trust me "Tyrant" is an OK cut but the rest of the songs are fuckin killer especially "Stairway to Torment" and "An Obscure Pain". It's total CIANIDE worship as in filth ridden death doom.  


Next up you got the cuts from their Noise Room Sessions 2014 7"er which came out in 2016 on the Heavy Metal Vomit Party label. Yeah they're two raw recorded songs and it sounds like it was recorded at someone's basement. It's definitely more of a scum punk style going on here. No wonder it's fuckin rare. After that it's time to head back a few years to their March Of Despair EP from 2012 which was another Hammerheart Records release. These songs are cool because it's like COFFINS are re-invoking CELTIC FROST with a hell of a lot of distortion and a good head banging sludgey feel. One huge highlight is their cover of DEATH's "Corpsegrinder" which is really a destruction of the song. I kinda like it.  


From there it's the band's Sewage Sludgecore Treatment EP from 2012 and originally came out on Bones Brigade Records. This one is an all covers EP although I think in this case butchering is a better term to use then cover. Basically COFFINS stomps the fuck out of songs originally recorded by BUZZOVEN, EYEHATEGOD twice and one's a live version, NOOTHGRUSH (I got the 12" split COFFINS did with them), GRIEF and IRON MONKEY. Personally I look at this as hey let's beat the shit out of our influences. But hey I'm cool with that.


Finally it's their part in the four band compilation Live At Asakusa Deathfest 2016 EP. It's OK stuff but I'd want this since the original EP also has SKELETAL REMAINS on it as well as two other bands. Either way it's a cool sounding set of four familiar tracks (ie: "Here Comes Perdition", "Under the Stench" "Decapitated Crawl" and "Tyrant".) Decent stuff and you wish you were there. In the end like I said opening this write up. Best compilation of 2021, well maybe, it's January and we don't know what's coming next. Like I said earlier if your a COFFINS  fan then you need this one. Uchino, the last original member of the band, has approved of this compilation so there you go.


http://www.horrorpaingoredeath.com/

LISTEN HERE:

https://hpgd.bandcamp.com/album/defilements


No comments: