Tuesday, December 20, 2022

CASKET ROBBERY - Rituals of Death review


 

CASKET ROBBERY - Rituals of Death

Blood Blast Distribution/Nuclear Blast


Well let's just get a few issues out of the way. So this comes in described as "female fronted brutal death metal". OK I get it ya need to lay down a quick description. But to you the reader I'd like to point out that women in extreme metal are not a curiosity nor a celebration. Look after all of these years (and I'm not some SJW loser) it's a gimme. To me it's all about talent and not gender. 


Next up, in my not so humble opinion this is not what I'd call brutal death metal. Maybe I'm old school (well yes I am) but brutal death metal to me is "BROOTAL" as in far more heavier than CANNIBAL CORPSE. So no this is more in the realm of modern death metal. And that's not a slag.


So what we have here is the second album by this Madison, Wisconsin DM act. Their debut album, Evolution of Evil, came out in 2016. That one had a different line-up and after giving it a listen (thanks Youtube) I found it to be fairly decent DM. 


Fast forward to this day with a newer line-up, CASKET ROBBERY come off as a savage nemesis to the top tier acts of DM supremacy. Yes the band's sound is modern DM. In other words the riffs are oppressive and angry. The guitar leads roll into the tech death realm. The vocals are aggro. And the rhythm section just bulldozes over ya. 


Be that as it may Megan Orvold-Scheider's vocals are ferocious. OK yeah she's an amazing vocalist. Megan has a varied extreme sounding range which covers the gambit of harsh gutturals as well as those ghostly cleans. Add to that you've got the low tuned guitars crunching. Plus some bass which comes across like thunder with drums. The music and the vocals are so in sync. 


In the end I have to say that CASKET ROBBERY are a huge surprise for me. In all honesty I have to admit that most newer sounding metal acts, especially in the DM realm, are not my thing. These Midwest maniacs have won me over simply because they're not generic. Ten cuts on here and every one is good. 


LISTEN TO AND BUY HERE:

https://casketrobbery.bandcamp.com/album/rituals-of-death


No comments: