Monday, December 19, 2022

DARKTHRONE – Astral Fortress review


 

DARKTHRONE – Astral Fortress

Peaceville


I'm not going to dwell too much upon my history (yeah I'm a long time fan) with this band. I'll just say that over the past decade I've haven't been thrilled with what they've done. So while first listening to this their twentieth full length I had some hope. Opener "Caravan of Broken Ghosts" is pretty good in a blackened doom sort of way. 


Of course last year's Eternal Hails held some promise when the label dropped a decent pre-release cut. And then when you heard the whole album it all went downhill again. So with Astral Fortress, it's not that bad if ya really dig into it. Like I said the opener is decent. But the next two cuts, "Impeccable Caverns of Satan" and "Stalagmite Necklace" are boring. I was getting ready for another let down.


But the ten minute plus “The Sea Beneath the Seas of the Sea” is a decent sounding blackened doom epic. Of course the basic riff and song structure has been borrowed from a better song by someone else. I think it's CANDLEMASS. The added keyboards at the song's mid-point are a nice touch. "Kevorkian Times" is also a decent cut and continues with the doom centric theme. It starts out fast and closes slow.


"Kolbotn, West of the Vast Forests" is a throwaway instrumental. But "Eon 2" is a decent closer with a mixed song structure of upbeat doom which bookends some slow riffage. Which means it's not like the closing cut from their first album Soulside Journey. As far as performances go Nocturno Culto's vocals show no sign of fading. And if he ever learns more guitar playing technique I'll be shocked. The same goes for Fenriz's drum work.




All in all it's a keeper.


http://www.peaceville.com/

LISTEN HERE:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wh9pACpO9Io


No comments: