Tuesday, November 7, 2023

JAG PANZER - The Hallowed review


 

JAG PANZER - The Hallowed

Atomic Fire Records


In my not so humble opinion (yeah bias alert) JAG PANZER are the grand masters of US power metal. Now I know some people will take issue with that statement (what else is new?). Those that disagree will name drop some band names as well as the albums they clutch like pearls. And my answer to them is the question, what have they done recently as in 2023?


Which brings me to this new album by JAG PANZER. It's a concept album, yeah I know go figure. I'm not going to explain the ideas about what this album goes into. I'll just say look at the cover art with it's post apocalyptic artwork and you'll get the idea. The first time I listened to The Hallowed was amazing. After further listens I have to call it a power metal masterpiece. Of course there are certain factors which make this release so great.


First and foremost is vocalist Harry Conklin. This man is one year older than me and I wish I could sing like him. I kinda doubt there was any computer studio augmentation to his vocals on here as opposed to some other singers of the same age or older. If you've followed his career then you know he's an amazing versatile singer. And on here he's still pushing the 80's metal operatic vocals while adding more biting mild sounding chorus's.


Of course it's the music which counts the most in my power metal appreciation book. And JAG PANZER, for most of their albums, has had this cool mid-80's metal sound which was tougher than their English counterparts in my opinion. In a way they were a counter to MAIDEN. The rhythms galloped, the drum work was punishing and the guitar soloing was more of an extension to the song structure than a required filling. All of that is on here and listening to this album is a gift. 


Hell yeah The Hallowed is a masterpiece by a band who have fought the good fight for metal. They need to perform this whole album live. And I wanna be there to see and hear it in awe.


https://label.atomicfire-records.com/

LISTEN HERE:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJJ2i_2Gi6s


No comments: