Saturday, November 18, 2023

WALKING CORPSE - Our Hands Your Throat review


 

WALKING CORPSE - Our Hands Your Throat

Transcending Obscurity Records


This is the second album by Sweden's WALKING CORPSE and their first for Transcending Obscurity Records. Their debut full length, The Fear Takes Hold, came out in 2020. That was a self release. A year prior they self released a four song self titled EP. Now I let you know all about that stuff for a reason. Once you hear this latest release by WALKING CORPSE you're probably going to want their back catalog. 


So for starters WALKING CORPSE are a Swedish grindcore band. Now I don't know about you but for me the greatest Swedish grindcore band ever was NASUM. I have all of their full lengths as well as a few short form releases. They called it quits a decade ago and in my not so humble opinion there hasn't been anyone from that scene who is able to take up the mantle they left behind.


Then I heard this album by WALKING CORPSE and I'm thinking the mantle has finally been passed because this is fuckin amazing. Now don't get me wrong. WALKING CORPSE are not copying what NASUM did before. What this band has is the same attitude towards the concept of experimentation and flat out aggression. They throw things at a wall, grind around it, through it and fuse it into an amazing listening experience. 


Frankly if you wanna know what this album sounds like then look at the cover. But I'll go further. The vocals are a combination of caustic screams from someone being electric shocked and low brow grunting from someone who is about to kill you. When it comes to the music it's utter madness and sometimes with a groove or wild jazz infused psychotic madness.


In the end I've heard around a dozen decent grind releases this year. Not only is Our Hands Your Throat by WALKING CORPSE my favorite grindcore release today. But seriously it is the best. right now there are grind fans in Finland and Poland (the major grind scenes) listening to this band and going "Whoa?"


https://tometal.com/

LISTEN HERE:

https://walkingcorpse.bandcamp.com/album/our-hands-your-throat


No comments: