Wednesday, November 8, 2023

LEFT TO ROT - Breath of the Tomb EP review


 

LEFT TO ROT - Breath of the Tomb EP

Self Released


Straight outta Texas kickin ass and taking names, here we have the debut release from this Austin based death metal three piece act. Take note of this band's name. I'm sure you'll be seeing it a lot in the near future. Oddly enough I've been getting back into demos and short form release collections by older bands. I guess irony has come into play with something new which sounds old.


On this five cut EP (four songs and an intro) LEFT TO ROT make it clear that they're influenced by old school US death metal from the early 90's. Think CANNIBAL CORPSE and DEICIDE as mainstays for what you'll hear from em. After my first listen I was cool with it as in OK you're another OSDM revival band. I've probably got at least a hundred CDs by OSDM revival bands that have come out over the past fifteen years. But then why do I own all of those releases? Because the music is cool.


So for starters LEFT TO ROT do have a brutal yet murky sound which does come across as dark as well as threatening. Their songs are mid-paced with an emphasis on thick guitar tones, well done drum work and some classic heavy handed bass. The vocals are standard guttural but varies in delivery. Of course the guitar soloing is in the dive bombing surgical strike variety. 


As I mentioned earlier remember this band's name. Not just because I like it. But there are millions of OSDM fans out there and a few of em run labels that specify in this style of extreme. So don't be surprised to see this band putting out a full length next year on one of those labels. 



LISTEN TO AND BUY IT HERE:

https://lefttorot.bandcamp.com/album/breath-of-the-tomb




No comments: