Sunday, February 17, 2019

ILLIMITABLE DOLOR - Leaden Light review




ILLIMITABLE DOLOR - Leaden Light
  
Transcending Obscurity




To some people out there this could be the last music you hear before you commit suicide. But buy the gatefold LP version anyway because ya know... Aside from that remark I must say whenever I check out music which comes in for review it's during certain hours of the day which has become a regiment pattern. Because of my occupation I'm either checking music out in the mid morning or at night and many times late at night.


When I first checked out this Australian band's latest release, their second full length by the way, it was early in the day. I had my coffee made with cup in hand. I turned on the music and was fucking around with stuff in the office when suddenly I was overcome with grief. I even looked out through the window blinds to see if it was raining. It was and how ironic was that? Then I sat down and cried because I was reminded of the time I held my dying cat in my arms.


OK that last part was bullshit because I actually turned the music off, went into the kitchen to make breakfast and had a smoke on the back deck because it was a beautiful sunny Winter day. But I did have a cat die in my arms once. So, sorry I'm laughing, but I have listened to this a few other times and I'm not overwhelmed by what this band has created.


The fact is that ILLIMITABLE DOLOR have put forth paint by the numbers atmospheric death doom. If they added a violin then you would think this was MY DYING BRIDE. If the vocals were more cavernous and filthy then SWALLOW THE SUN would be called out. But hey this band is from Australia so no names need to be dropped because scene purists will know who I'm talking about. 


BUT, with all of that said and aside from the familiarity, this band does put out some of the most beautiful sounding and engaging death doom that their peers have lost sight off. The vocals are ghostly death growls which are soothing. While there are aggressive riffs there's more airy guitar melodies. The keys used in the back drop carry you along but it's the silence and piano plucking which hit you like nails. 


I'm not a genre stalwart but I like good music and if you are then Leaden Light will be / should be the one release you will turn to again and again in 2019. Please don't kill yourself because they've got a huge back catalog. 


https://tometal.com/

https://illimitabledolor.bandcamp.com/album/leaden-light-atmospheric-death-doom-metal

https://www.facebook.com/IllimitableDolor/


No comments: