Monday, April 8, 2019

CEREBRUM - Iridium review



CEREBRUM - Iridium  

Transcending Obscurity Records




I believe many metal fans can agree that there were times in their fandom when they liked a certain genre of music but over time it's waned. Personally I can attest to quite a few but in particular is technical death metal. I shouldn't say "fan" because I can't say I ever was. As a matter of fact the only reason I have some of the prescribed tech death classics is merely because of chance. Once in a great while I'll pull one out to reminisce but it always ends up as a dust collector as opposed to other death metal releases I like.


Now I feel obliged to admit my bias toward a genre of which this Greek band CEREBRUM are part of. But since this comes from Transcending Obscurity Records, a label I admire and respect, then why not give it a shot. For the most part the music created by this four piece act is not what I'd call over the top or annoying. Basically this is old style tech death with space left open that lightly touches upon prog and jazz. At least the vocals are rough and rhythms grudgingly mean.


Of late I've been listening to various hard rock from the seventies and that includes some of that era's prog rock. Hey I grew up then so there you go. Anyways CEREBRUM allows some of that song structure abruptness to seep in. Add to that there's that jazz inspired interplay between the guitar and prominent bass lines. It all definitely has that KING CRIMSON goes death metal appeal. 


In the end I think CEREBRUM's Iridium, which by the way is their third full length since forming in 2002, is a comfortable tech death release which will or should not invoke hails of name dropped past greats in order to please people who need a reference. CEREBRUM just does a great job on their own to be modern, interesting and captivating.


https://tometal.com/

https://cerebrumgreece.bandcamp.com/

https://www.facebook.com/CEREBRUMOFFICIAL/ 

No comments: