Saturday, April 27, 2019

OSHIEGO - The Book Of Wonders review



OSHIEGO - The Book Of Wonders

Horror Pain Gore Death Productions




There are good reasons why I listen to releases that come into SFM666 for review over and over again. I don't do it in order to dissect em. Instead there are times when at first a release will not win me over but I'll give it a chance. Case in point, at first while listening to this release I wasn't in the mood for anything death metal. So seeing this as another reanimation of the new wave of old school death metal as well as being  influenced by ENTOMBED and DISMEMBER, I was kinda bored with it. Five more listens and I liked it.


OSHIEGO hail from Singapore. The band has been around since 2004 and has a few full lengths, which unfortunately I've never heard, to back themselves up. As I listen to this release the Tupperware sounding drum beats as well as the click drum sound are a distraction. Be that as it may this three piece displays a certain savagery to their take on the Swede Death influence plus adds that reliable Eastern accent of speed as well as subtle melody which it takes a few listens to catch.


Yeah the riff package here is diabolical, the vocals are melodically threatening but the lead work is fa-nominal. Guitarist Bryan Gan has been schooled in the dive bomb death metal slice and dice soloing effect. I await every cut on here to hear what he comes up with to cut the through his already aggressive riff blitz. At times there's some crusty hardcore / speed metal sounds leaking in as well as dynamite groove sections that weave into complete brutality. Give it five listens and you'll be a fan.


https://hpgd.bandcamp.com/

https://hpgd.bandcamp.com/album/the-book-of-wonders

https://www.facebook.com/Oshiego/


No comments: