Monday, April 22, 2019

GRAVE VIOLATOR - Back To The Cult review



GRAVE VIOLATOR - Back To The Cult 

Reaper Metal Productions




Well when a band opens up their release with a song titled "Baptized In Filthy Semen", I know I'm in for a sleazy experience. This is the full length debut by Finland's GRAVE VIOLATOR, a four piece act who have been around since 2007. For some reason I believe I've heard the name before. Over their career they've just put out an EP, Ghoul Call, from 2011.


On the other hand musically this is very familiar territory being covered with some actual surprises. Basically this is blackened thrash. It's some what low-fi at times but not in any way does it come off as that generic shit which has permeated this genre. I think the drum pattern is the same for almost every cut on here. Vocals are of that simple blackened rasp type. 


But I think what pushes this over the top is, not so surprising, the lead guitar work. It all reminds me of the 80's with a lot of blues scales. Maybe not totally in a classic metal sense but from the early days when the term speed metal came about. Great riffs as well as vocals and then some cool guitar leads that capture your attention enough to for go any limitations you'd find going on in their punk infused metal style. 


GRAVE VIOLATOR, as well as many bands I've covered in the recent times who are part of this genre, are the new crossover. Now remember I'm not talking about the stuff being pushed by the mainstream wing of metal media. This is the real deal that pushes limits which is what the whole extreme metal ideal is about. 


http://reapermetalproductions.com/

https://reapermetalproductions.bandcamp.com/album/back-to-the-cult 


No comments: