Monday, April 8, 2019

VIRCOLAC - Masque review



VIRCOLAC - Masque

Dark Descent Records




I first learned about VIRCOLAC in March during my Irish Metal Assault music theme posting on Facebook, because I have nothing better to say so lets post music. I posted their The Cursed Travails of the Demeter EP from 2016. Ireland is not known for death metal so it was cool as fuck to check it out. Little did I know that the band had a full length.


And speaking of which here it is in all of it's blackened death metal filth. So after listening to this one you'll notice that this four piece act are not playing totally by present genre rules. To me that's a good thing and keeps it interesting. The band allows some synths in for good atmospheric tension breakers. At times the blast beating goes into grindcore modes of aggression. Riffs vary from death doom deviancy to actual head banging groove.


But for me it's the pissed off attitude vocals that wins me over along with the insane solo repertoire. On one cut the solo dives in like a maniac welding a knife while other times it's like a solom monolithic touch which crushes. Toss in the rampaging riffs, the sizematic registered drum beats and of course the song structures that drag you upon chaos and you have a great fuckin release.



http://www.darkdescentrecords.com/

https://darkdescentrecords.bandcamp.com/album/masque


No comments: