Sunday, April 14, 2019

PROSTITUTE DISFIGUREMENT - Self Titled review




PROSTITUTE DISFIGUREMENT - Self Titled

Rising Nemesis Records




So a few years back I was reading some metal magazine article and the writer made a joke about someone owning the complete discography of PROSTITUTE DISFIGUREMENT as being not so cool. I didn't think it was funny considering at that time I did have all their releases. Fuck you hipster scribe is what I thought afterwards. Bias Alert, yes I am a PROSTITUTE DISFIGUREMENT fan. Should I add the term "Duh" to it? They're extreme and brutal death metal from Holland a nation of my heritage and I write about extreme metal. Oh yeah DUH!


My history with this great and legendary band is interesting to say the least. But yes the nation of Holland or the Netherlands if you prefer has had some great representatives of extreme music in the death metal category. This band, for some stupid reason, has been considered a black sheep.  Once again "Duh"? The band started out in 2000 and for almost a decade produced some seriously aggressive slightly technical death metal. Their biggest turnoff for some people is their choice of album cover art. But hey I don't care because it's great death metal. I saw their fourth full length, Descendants of Depravity from 2008, to be their best work. 


But then everything stopped for a few years until the almighty comeback of From Crotch to Crown came out in 2014. Definitely a great record if you consider a band sticking to the formula which brought them out of obscurity. But as if on cue the band took another long creative break until now in 2019 we have this self titled full length. Obviously from the Jack the Ripper inspired cover art it's understandable why it's self titled. Musically it's the same as their last release. But then that's what is cool.


Basically you're getting a Dutch version of CANNIBAL CORPSE. You have a balance of brutality and technical prowess. The songs are intense and violent. Speed is their main engine with nine songs firing in at a little over thirty minute time span. The riffs are punishing with solos chiming in more harmonies that savage. Vocals are typical low tone gruff death metal roars. Bottom line yes I'm bias but hey it's great death metal for anyone who can appreciate it without getting butthurt. I might just include it in my year end best of listings just to piss off the hiptards.


http://risingnemesisrecords.bigcartel.com/

https://risingnemesisrecords.bandcamp.com/album/prostitute-disfigurement


No comments: