Sunday, April 14, 2019

EREMIT - Carrier of Weight review



EREMIT - Carrier of Weight 

Transcending Obscurity Records




To say this release is just epic is to say the Great Pyramids of Giza are just monuments. This release is monolithic! It's power incarnate. It's sludgey, droning doom. It's over an hour long and only has three songs. And they're a three piece act from Germany. Frankly I wish I could end it at that. But I feel like I'm in a doom metal parody version scene from The Excorcist. The power of the music compels you to write more. The power of the music compels you to write more. OK fine but seriously stop throwing holy water on me and get that cross out of my face. You could put an eye out with that thing.


I look at these three cuts as a trilogy of directions and emotional episodes. The first part "“Dry Land” is a droning sludgey dirge which runs over twenty three minutes into lethargic time. Pass me a cup of strong coffee I might've missed something. The second part, "Froth is Beckoning”, with it's over eleven minute time limit actually rocks with a Southern US sludge groove. The third part, “Cocoon of Soul”, is where the listener is taken on an echo journey into a pseudo psych realm. Pass the acid I think I'm Timothy Leary.  


In the end I see EREMIT as not a band creating music. This is more of an experience, an atmosphere that compels one to rethink about those past days fucking around with mind altering substances. The second time I listened to this I was having flashbacks. The third time I saw God. Alright I'm joking, about the flashbacks part, but seriously folks Carrier of Weight is about as good an hour of time you could have listening to music which absorbs you.


https://tometal.com/

https://eremitdoom.bandcamp.com/

https://www.facebook.com/EremitDoom/


No comments: