Friday, January 24, 2020

HYPERIA - Insanitorium review



HYPERIA - Insanitorium

Sliptrick Records




So I went through early January writing about some cool music and then I go though twenty average promos for two weeks. Finally I found something that's not only interesting but damm good. HYPERIA are far beyond the trappings of genre recognition. The tagline on this Canadian five piece act is thrash and death metal. OK fine I'll go with that but they have something which goes beyond that limit. 


Musically they are walking a razor thin line between thrash and melodic death metal. But the kicker with their style is that it's not relying on old school familiarity or new school generic theatrics. Although I think they could easily move on to a realm of popularity which will forgo what I write about. For example you've got some trudging riffs with knife like guitar soloing. I mean seriously the guitar work on here slays.


Add to that a rhythm section that fires along with a fury which veteran bands only remember how it was. Finally there's the vocals by Marlee Ryley. To say here singing is versatile might be limited. On this release she's a fuckin harpie, a death metal gruff bitch, a screeching witch and a power metal Valkyrie. Where the hell did she come from? Oh yeah Canada.


Add to it all the great cover art work by Andrei Bouzikov, yeah I'm a fan, and you've got a fantastic release. Yes I love the vocals but these guitarists Colin Ryley and David Kupisz, who also add backing vocals, are fuckin amazing. Whoever produced this fucker captured this band's essence perfectly. CANADA has just lost a legend which is sad because I loved that band growing up. HYPERIA is part of that great nation's new legacy of greatness.



https://sliptrickrecords.com/

https://hyperiametal.bandcamp.com/

https://www.facebook.com/Hyperiabandofficial/


No comments: