Thursday, December 16, 2021

VHS - I Heard They Suck... Blood review


 

VHS - I Heard They Suck... Blood

Wise Blood Records


Canada's VHS are a band I'm familiar with since being a fan of  two previous full lengths. Those releases were 2018's The New Batch and We're Gonna Need Some Bigger Riffs from 2019. Both of those releases came out on Horror Pain Gore Death Productions. The band put out a 2020 full length, Gore from Beyond the Stars, but I'm not familiar with it. 


So here we have this three piece act's latest release. Now if you're not familiar with VHS then let me explain. They're a gore obsessed punk/grind act with some death metal influence. Their releases, whether full lengths or short form ones, almost always follow some sort of horror movie genre theme. This time around it's all about vampires because well they suck.


Unfortunately for me who's heard their previous stuff I can say these guys love recycling old riffs and song structures. Also on here you've got guest vocalists Trevor Strnad from BLACK DAHLIA MURDER and Dave Ingram from BENEDICTION. Now I'd swear both of them guested on a previous release as well. 


Now be that as it may VHS are a fun band. Musically they break the ice of seriousness within extreme metal. Their use of movie soundbites in between songs always reminds me of IMPETIGO. The vocals vary from higher pitched screams to DM monster vox. They intertwine extreme metal styles with straight up rock at times. 


In the end they're just one of the best bands around these days doing this crazy shit. I don't wanna say this is the best record I've heard from em. But it's damm close to being it. Consider me bias alright. VHS are the type of extreme metal act who'll make you smile, bang yer fuckin head, stand back and say Wow This Is Cool or they'll make that bug up your ass really hurt. Nuff Said!


https://wisebloodrecords.com/

LISTEN HERE:

https://vhshorror.bandcamp.com/releases


No comments: