Saturday, December 16, 2023

AZAGHAL - Alttarimme on luista tehty


 

AZAGHAL - Alttarimme on luista tehty

Immortal Frost Productions


When it comes to this Finnish black metal act I've been a fan of theirs for a while. This is their twelth full length release. I own ten of those plus a few EPs and a handful of splits. My introduction to them was in 2008 with their full length Omega which came out on Moribund Records. And you know what, that album was my favorite of that year. To this very day I cite AZAGHAL's Omega as being one of the best black metal albums of the early 2000's. 


But while I was in the process of buying older stuff by em as well as new stuff their vocalist, Varjoherra, left in 2010. So as far as the new guy who replaced him goes, I forget his name and I'm not gonna look it up. The releases that followed were cool but not so important. The band's last full length was 2018's Valo pohjoisesta and was decent but hey I'm a bias fan. 


So here's their new one after a very long silence. Musically there's a blackened death approach going on here. Mainman, guitarist / bassist / keyboards Narqath (aka: Tomi Kalliola) has decided to go for a more crunchy BM feel for the riffs. Think DISMEMBER gone black metal, like we haven't heard that before. But anyways their new vocalist Jack 13 (aka: Jukka Pitkanen) is a welcome return to hatred and filth. The keyboard runs are a shocker. 


Overall this is a damm good return for the band but not for a Finnish BM sense. As far as an onslaught on the senses it fills that requirement along with some cool melodic guitar leads. It's a keeper as far as I'm concerned. But it's really total Swede death with blackened bits. You've lost your Finns.


https://www.immortalfrostproductions.com/

LISTEN HERE:

https://immortalfrostproductions1.bandcamp.com/album/alttarimme-on-luista-tehty


No comments: