Monday, December 11, 2023

SUFFOCATION - Hymns from the Apocrypha review


 

SUFFOCATION - Hymns from the Apocrypha

Nuclear Blast


Well it's been a while for me as far as checking out a new SUFFOCATION full length. How long you ask? Well I remember buying Blood Oath in 2009 and was borred to death with it. I remember seeing them on tour around that time as well. I thought they were mostly borring live as well.


When it comes to SUFFOCATION, for me that is, it's Terrance Hobbs' solo work and the band's first three albums. I'm not gonna mention em because if you're an extreme metal fan then you know about the greatness I'm talking about. But Terrance Hobbs is such a great guitarist and his influence as far as dive bomb solos is under rated to say the truth. 


Be that as it may this latest release by SUFFOCATION is average to say the least. I mean it's good but for the mainstream types who just get this release because they don't know there's a hundred or more bands out there doing the same thing. Big name label and great production with a name recognition where as a band playing a club down the street playing the same damm thing doesn't get any credit. 


Hymns from the Apocrypha sounds like a brutal death metal band just going through the motions. I'm shocked to say that I miss Frank Mullen who held down vocal duties forever. Hey at least he was a great frontman. The new guy, Ricky Myers, is fairly average in his vocal delivery. If you read this blog (and frankly who doesn't) then you know my respect for brutal death metal vocals.


Hymns from the Apocrypha is a brutal death metal album for the mainstream masses who don't know there's an underground who does it equal or better. I can't wait to see the average types hype this album not knowing there's better music of this style out there. 


https://www.nuclearblast.com/eu/

LISTEN HERE:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgO6vl_vzhM







No comments: