Friday, December 1, 2023

TAAKE - Et hav av avstand review


 

TAAKE -  Et hav av avstand

Dark Essence Records


I've been a fan of TAAKE since 2005's Hordalands doedskvad, that was the third album by mainman / multi-instrumentalist Hoest (aka: Orjan Stedjeberg). Since then I got the first two full lengths in my collection as well as everything since. But here we have the eighth full length by TAAKE after a six year quiet spell. Well actually there's been some music by TAAKE trickling out via various split releases over the past few years. But for an artist who wears True Norwegian Black Metal on his sleeves it's been a while since the greatness of 2017's Kong vinter. 


Be that as it may Et hav av avstand is outstanding to say the least. The first time I played this it was after work on the first cold night of the year here where I live in late November. I'm out on my back deck having a smoke in 20 degree temperatures. Then I come in just to be still frozen by the music of this Bergan blackened nightmare. Oddly enough this TAAKE album lacks any weirdness aka: no folk interludes, no banjo solos and no atmospheric breaks. 


Et hav av avstand is primarily straight up Norwegian black metal without the bells, whistles or silliness. There's actually a rock essence weaved in with the rhythms as the tremolo picked guitar chimes forth. At times there's a melancholy feel only to be destroyed when Hoest decides to end it with some speed, harsh vocalization and a quick tangent on the arrangements. 


In the end with four songs (yeah that's right) coming out to roughly forty two plus minutes this release is colder than a well digger's ass. If you're a fan of TAAKE then you're use to long songs. Sit back and take the cold cruel punishment is what I always say when Hoest wants to indulgence himself with this type of songwriting. And this is to me his best dynamic as in creating a compelling cold cruel album.


To me Et hav av avstand is an album that brings about blackened joy, fear and hate. Those are three emotions which are primary in my life these days. Therefore this album speaks to me in many ways. It's a perfect album which is stands strong in the realm of Norwegian black metal period end of story.


https://darkessencerecords.no/

LISTEN HERE:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5-WExI0eVw



No comments: