Saturday, December 16, 2023

AZAGHAL / BLACK FAITH – Immortalized In Luciferian Blood Split EP review


 

AZAGHAL / BLACK FAITH – Immortalized In Luciferian Blood Split EP

Nero Corvino


So here we have a black metal split with Finland's AZAGHAL and Italy's BLACK FAITH. Now I must admit that I've been a fan of AZAGHAL for a long time. And well that's why I'm writing about this release. As I say many times, you buy a split release for a band on it you do know and hope the other is good as a bonus. 


Well the first thing I noticed on this split is that of the three cuts AZAGHAL contributes. One of them, "Paholaisen musta kieli", which is their opener here is also on their new album. (The review for that one is coming soon.) A great track of course which exemplifies the band's continuous blackened fury coupled with an atmospheric touch. To be honest they've progressed from their early raw days. 


Their second cut on here, "Kaikki Kuolevat Yksin", is a surprise as it rocks with a cool beat for the most part and has some cow bell. It's a weird departure from their norm. Their third cut "Ikuisuus Huutaa Hiljaa" is standard AZAGHAL with filth, speed and Finnish fury which is why I like em. 


BLACK FAITH are new to me albeit started out a while back but have been sporadic with releases. Musically they come off more like blackened thrash or speed metal. I like how they have a rocking side with a dark edge. There's nothing genre generic in their sound. I like how they end their first cut "Lesser Gods" with a bass line that bleeds into their next one "Cold Fire of the Soul". And by the way that one is killer as well. As far as their third cut goes it's a blackened speed metal punisher as well.


As far as fandom goes here's a surprise. I think BLACK FAITH wins on this split. I mean "Ethica Moralis" is a kick ass closer. As much as I love the Finns, it's the Italians who make this one interesting. Now I need to check out this band's back catalog. 


LISTEN TO AND BY HERE:

https://nerocorvino.bandcamp.com/album/immortalized-in-luciferian-blood


No comments: