Friday, May 17, 2019

BLIND MONARCH - What Is Imposed Must Be Endured review



BLIND MONARCH - What Is Imposed Must Be Endured 

Black Bow Records




I love the promo info which came with this release. In the past I have stated my respect for promo writers because sometimes they have to make a sow's ear into a silk purse. Now that is not the case here but the promo info on this release is kinda cool. For example this band "weave moments of a dubious beauty into a corrupted majesty of ugliness and despair." Wow I'm in awe. Also this album "was captured in a derelict space in the North of England during the bleak mid-winter of 2017." Once again that's awesome.


My turn, so it's a little after 4 AM. I got home from work an hour and a half ago after another twelve hour shift. I'm tired, I smell and I pushed play to this BLIND MONARCH's full length debut. Seriously I feel like this music. Sludgey death doom painfully slow but adding some ambiance which gives it a sense of being. This the band's four song slightly over fifty four minute long debut is mostly about crushing your bones and pounding your flesh into a fine paste. The ambiance comes in at various spots but mostly on the last track when guest vocalist, Fiona Blyth, chimes in.


Otherwise this stalking behemoth is on par with some other UK acts that indulge in thunderous and ground shaking riffs, pounding drums and a mix of vocal styles. Tom Blyth uses his singing talents to covey the idea that he's either a grumpy bear woken early from hibernation or a screeching blackened banshee. Either variety works well with this music. 


http://www.blackbowrecords.com/

https://blindmonarch.bandcamp.com/releases

https://www.facebook.com/blindmonarchband/


No comments: