Wednesday, May 8, 2019

ROAD WARRIOR – Power review



ROAD WARRIOR – Power

Dying Victims Productions




ROAD WARRIOR are a new Australian power trio made up of veterans from their Tasmanian extreme music scene. One guy was even in  MOURNFUL CONGREGATION. A few other bands mentioned in the promo info are CAULDRON BLACK RAM, STARGAZE and a few others. No offense but those latter acts are not household names but they're also far from the style of music being performed on here. I'm going to go out on a limb and say this is a side project for these guys to get their creative juices churning towards an outlet to the old.


Seriously this is a freaking nostalgia trip back to 1981/82 musically as well as artistically by checking out the cover. Back in my youth when I lived in a Northeastern burg I'd go to this head shop that masqueraded as a record store. Along with all the vinyl by artists now dubbed Classic Rock there was a small section marked as "Imports". That's where I would find all of the early metal greats especially NWOBHM stuff. If the band name sounded metalish and the artwork gave off an impression of the same then you bought it.


So how old school 80's metal in influences is there on this release? Well first off the bass playing stands the fuck out. At times it's even used as a lead instrument which brings in memories of early MAIDEN. The vocals kind of remind me of Scott Reagers of SAINT VITUS until those heavy metal screams kick in. Hey give me a metal falsetto scream and you'll win me over because I have sung in a band and I'd lose a nut trying. Plus I grew up with that style of metal singing.


If there's something I don't give a thumbs up to as far as this release goes it's the guitar work. Some cuts start out with long running intros which seem like prog territory. Secondly 80's metal had bands pushing the outstanding catchy riffs. Out of the eight cuts on here there's a couple that stand out well in that regard. "Devils in Waiting" is one of my favorites for various reasons all mentioned previously. "Back Alley Toyko Woman" would be my second pick. Otherwise Power is a decent listen.


https://www.dying-victims.de/

https://dyingvictimsproductions.bandcamp.com/album/road-warrior-power

https://www.facebook.com/RoadWarrior1986




No comments: