Wednesday, May 8, 2019

TORPEDO - Rocking Hard Compilation review



TORPEDO - Rocking Hard Compilation

Dying Victims Productions




File this one under when good extreme metal minds meet, great things occur. A few years back Dan Deathbanger of DEATHHAMMER went to Tasmania where he met Will Spectre of the band SPECTRE. This joining of extreme artistic minds produced two demos. The four song 2016 release,Torpedo Metal and the three song 2017 follow up Flaming Steel Attack. Both of those demos have been combined to produce this full length compilation. 


Basically the end result is an old late 80's underground extreme metal head's dream come true. Yeah that's a reference to myself. What we have here is true speed metal as it sounded back then and what this duo has created today. Now let's remember I was an adult back in the late 80's so unlike some of the younger revisionist types in the modern metal media who learn things from Wikipedia, I'm telling you the truth. 


The genre term "Speed Metal" has been mis-characterized so much over the years it makes me want to vomit after I read what useless scribes of the modern media say about it. Fact, the term speed metal was a quick toss out term used in the late 80s to describe music which was faster than traditional 80's era classic metal but did not have the riff style of what we know to be thrash. It was PRIEST and MAIDEN played at 78 speed. In the years that followed we, the fans, just called it metal. 


TORPEDO have found that old vein and have re-mined it to produce some extraordinary results. This sounds like a long lost classic from 1987. The clean, clear and high end vocals, with plenty of heavy metal screams, are fuckin incredible. Every song on here is cool as fuck with these rustic sounding riffs and power chord blasts. The solos are majestic as well as biting and venomous. This release is a non stop blast with a steady rhythm of determined speed as well as punishment. 


Hey let me be honest (as if I'm not?), I'm kinda old. OK I'm in my fifties but hey I still love my extreme music especially relics of the past which have not been shitted upon. To hear great music from my past produced by two individuals half my age and sounding so fucking good. I am impressed as well as appreciative. Speed Metal's existence actually was a small niche within metal's genre future perspective. The bottom line here is that these two guys have threaded the needle of STEEL. Nuff Said.


https://www.dying-victims.de/

https://dyingvictimsproductions.bandcamp.com/album/torpedo-rocking-hard


No comments: