Friday, October 29, 2021

ABSCESSION - Rot of Ages review


 

ABSCESSION - Rot of Ages 

Transcending Obscurity Records


As much as I love old school Swedish style death metal there comes a time when it's needed to say enough already. Seriously there's only so much you can do with that HM-2 Boss guitar pedal. Then this band comes around and I'm "Ah OK this is fuckin fierce". But then again I was a bigger fan of DISFEAR than AT THE GATES so there you go.


What we have here is the second full length by ABSCESSION a four piece act from Sweden who started out back in 2010. Strangely enough 2010 was a year when the revival of old school sounding death metal had reached it's peak. On this release ABSCESSION are not going for that past sound. They're pushing for something more aggressive.


Musically this is like listening to ENTOMBED's Left Hand Path on 45 speed. Then again I could say GRAVE's debut as well but there's that keyboard action later on in this release which is a give away. The vocals are barked to a point which you would take personal offense. The drum work is fantastic with those blastbeats and fill action just perfect.


Aside from the whole death metal / hardcore push this band does they add some melodic points which break away from the slam pit action thrust of these cuts. Seriously listening to this I wanna get up out of my chair and slam around into the walls. Oh and by the way did I mention that I'm in my 50's. Is this the new school of Swedish Death Thrash or a revival? 


Actually I don't know but hey I got a friend who can fix the hole I put into the wall after slamming into it. Nuff Said.  


https://tometal.com/

LISTEN HERE:

https://abscessiondeath.bandcamp.com/album/rot-of-ages-death-metal



No comments: