Friday, October 8, 2021

VREID – Wild North West review


 

VREID – Wild North West 

Season of Mist


My main reason for getting into Norway's VREID in the first place many years ago was obvious. They were the former members of WINDIR who continued on under a new name after their former mainman Valfar died. Since I liked WINDIR a lot my hope was that maybe these guys would continue the legacy. I thought their first couple of releases were decent. But for me 2009's Milorg was a great milestone for them. 


Even to this day whenever I wanna hear something from this band's catalog I go straight for Milorg. Afterwards I'll bounce around to their other releases. I will say that the band's last four full length releases haven't been bad. 2011's V is a decent album I'll play straight through without being bored. As far as everything which came after well those releases had some high points and plenty of mediocre moments. 


So because I'm a fan and a completest I had to check out this latest one hoping for the best. And after a few listens I look at this their ninth full length with the same respect I gave their past few. The album starts off well with the band's melodic black metal style in full bloom. I like how on a few cuts the band reach back to their early days for inspiration and influence. To put in nicely there's some WINDIR moments. So first four tracks in and we're good here.


But then it's on the second half of the album when things get weird. After an amazing "Spikes of God", which is black metal incarnate for these guys, the band heads into black n roll territory. Now if you thought their foray into mello death an album or two ago was bad. Well you'll not be too won over with "Dazed and Reduced" which is like a bad Alice Cooper wannabe cut. Actually Alice would give it some well needed justice. 


After that flop it's followed by the equally bad "Into the Mountains". The closer "Shadowland" has decent moments for a end of album opus but it's close to ten minute time length stretches too much. Oh well keep stretching guys, number ten is next. Let's see if you can capture lightning in a bottle again.


https://www.season-of-mist.com/

LISTEN HERE:

https://vreidsom.bandcamp.com/


No comments: