Monday, October 4, 2021

HEADS FOR THE DEAD - Slash 'n' Roll EP review


 

HEADS FOR THE DEAD - Slash 'n' Roll EP

Transcending Obscurity Records


So I've been looking forward to this release ever since the label put out a teaser video for one of the songs on here "Maniac".  Well more to that since I've been a fan of HEADS FOR THE DEAD since learning about em a few years ago. 


The band is an international super group of sorts with Ralf Hauber from REVEL IN FLESH on vocals. Ed Warby who's been in GOREFEST as well as HAIL OF BULLETS on drums. And of course there's mainman Jonny Pettersson on guitars, bass (and keys?)who I know from WORMBATH. 


Now why I was excited about this EP is because I'm a huge fan of this band's last two full length albums which are 2018's Serpent's Curse and Into the Red from 2020. Yeah I highly recommend those two. Musically HEADS FOR THE DEAD are old school crunchy death metal with a whole lot more of extreme style tossed in for good measure.


As far as this EP goes you've got five cuts all paying homage to classic horror. I've already mentioned "Maniac" which is kinda death n roll. Next up is "Halloween" which is a reinterpretation of the movie theme funneled through some death metal beating.  Another movie song gets the DM treatment that one being "The Thing" done entirely in the band's style. 


Next up are two Punk covers, the first being "Skulls" by the MISFITS and the second one being "Pet Cemetery" by the RAMONES. I've heard MISFITS' cut covered so many times I'm sick of hearing it. On the other hand hearing the RAMONES done Death Metal was cool. I'd call this release a collector's item.


https://tometal.com/

LISTEN HERE:

https://headsforthedead.bandcamp.com/album/slash-n-roll-horror-death-metal


No comments: