Friday, October 29, 2021

HELLOWEEN - Self Titled review


 

HELLOWEEN - Self Titled

Victor


In my not so humble opinion there are two camps of HELLOWEEN fans. Camp A are the ones who have every release regardless if it's good or not. And they probably went apeshit when they heard this was coming out. Camp B on the other hand has the band's essential releases and maybe a few more worth checking out. They heard about this new release and figured well they'll put it on their I'll get it later list. 


I fall into Camp B obviously and to be honest the last album I have by HELLOWEEN is Straight Out of Hell from 2013. So the skinny on this one is a few years back the band did this Pumpkins Re-United tour which saw the return of past members; vocalist Michael Kiske and guitarist / vocalist Kai Hansen. The tour went so well with the camaraderie being so great that yeah you knew a reunion album was in the making. 


Now of course on paper it would seem like a good idea but in reality the best made plans seem to be a huge fuck up. So the first time I listened to this release I was like OK it's sounds like a HELLOWEEN album. Three more plays and then I found some negatives which should not be a surprise because the band has put out some stinkers over the past twenty years. So let me just start off by saying what I hate and follow up with what I liked.


For starters I thought "Best Time" is a pop metal flounder of a song. "I will have the best time of my life. Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery". Wow how poignant as well as obvious. Why didn't you just hold hands. Next crapper "Angels", this is a modern era HELLOWEEN type of cut which sneaked it's way on an album focused on the band's classic era. "Indestructible" is another cheap ass cut. Musically it's cool with some amazing guitar solos but lyrically it's horrible. The instrumental "Orbit" is a waste of time. "Skyfall" is an in and out number. The vocal and melody mix blows but the guitar solo excitement is great.


Now everything I didn't mention is damm good as fuck. OK it's downright amazing. We're talking those cool galloping rhythms with exciting guitar solos that light the fucking sky. Not a perfect album but then again the band never put out one. Yeah that'll hurt purists. But hey they're still the greatest power metal band of all time.




https://www.helloween.org/

LISTEN HERE:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5A1Ou5WpqDc


No comments: