Friday, October 8, 2021

THE SLOW DEATH - Siege review


 

THE SLOW DEATH - Siege 

Transcending Obscurity Records


What we have here true believers in the realm of death doom is an Australian super group of sorts. A bunch of these musicians play in or have played in bands I'm quite familiar with. For example there's drummer Yonn McLaughlin who's in NAZXUL and PESTILENTIAL SHADOWS. One of their vocalists (she also does keyboards), Mandy Andresen, was in MURKRAT. I was a huge fan of her vocal style back in 2008 when their self titled debut came out. Now I know where she went.


So when I said that Mandy Andresen is one of this band's vocalists then you figured out the obvious. Mandy sings the clean vocals and their male vocalist, Gamaliel, does the growls. But hey it's death doom with Mandy adding some airy keyboard melody which carries along the rhythms as a backdrop. The heavy handed guitars are the staple throughout. Add to that a suffocating atmosphere which is to a point haunting as well as dream inducing. 


Trust me on that one, I had my eyes closed during the song "Pestilence" and I saw trails of Hell behind my eyelids. I guess the safe bet here is that if you're into MOURNFUL CONGREGATION, which this band's guitarist Stuart Prickett use to perform with, then you'll like this. Siege is four songs spanning over an hour's time. But every second I hear Mandy Andresen vocals is worth it. 


https://tometal.com/

LISTEN HERE:

https://theslowdeathband.bandcamp.com/album/siege-atmospheric-death-doom-metal



No comments: