Monday, March 28, 2022

STRICKEN - From a Well of Emptiness, A Stygian Serpent Born review


 

STRICKEN - From a Well of Emptiness, A Stygian Serpent Born

Horror Pain Gore Death Productions


Musically appreciation wise I'm at the point where I am getting bored to death with so many bands going the death doom route. I love the style and sound but it's become a generic stand-by for bands. So with that said I'm glad to hear some bands going back to the roots of American Doom/traditional metal. 


I mean sure you're gonna have the SABBATH-ian grooves but with the heaviness you get clean vocals, an emphasis on powerful riffs and some damm good melodies. Add to that semi-complex song structures that keep your interest. I was listening to a Polish band do it last week, go figure? And I'm listening to one now from Seattle, Washington. 


This is the debut full length by STRICKEN. They're a three piece act which to me is perfect. Also their drummer, Chris Wozniak, was once in LIAR OF THE MINOTAUR. They were a great band which this one here has similar touches. The bottom line is that everything I've said earlier in the paragraphs above applies here to this release plus more. 


STRICKEN bring on the powerful vocals, the doom as well as atmospheric touches plus a bit of modern sludge metal tropes. The production values are a little low but you can blast this album as it deserves to be. This is a cool new band for Doom fans. 


https://www.horrorpaingoredeath.com/

LISTEN HERE:

https://hpgd.bandcamp.com/album/from-a-well-of-emptiness-a-stygian-serpent-born


No comments: